Velkommen til Westby

Velkommen til Westby

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Even's Letter Home — Coon Prairie's first settler

Even’s Letter

Even Gullord
Ole Tostensen Westby was born May 2, 1840, on the Westby farm in Biri, Oppland County, Norway. His parents were Tosten Olsen (Gullord) Westby and Berthe Evensdaughter Galtestad.

Ole’s uncle, Even Olsen Gullord, had emigrated to American in the summer of 1846 and wrote several letters home in such clear and glowing terms that they effected a large emigration from Norway, including his own family.

One of these letters sent by Even on August 26, 1847:

Dear Parents and Sister and Brother:

I have just received your highly honored letter of 29 March this year from Emigrant Lars Stenber from Biri, and with him shared a most welcome gift from you for which I give you my most obliging thanks — Concerning your request in regard to information from here. I shall as far as possible with the little experience I have had, give you a most canid report. I am particularly happy that you are thinking of moving here, not only my brothers and sisters but also my dear parents; if you can get through the difficult journey, then I think you will be well paid for it. This is what I can say about it, but determined to persuade no one to take this big step, for good reasons I cannot undertake that, since some people are not satisfied any place, and would like to place the blame on those who “mislead them” as they say. As far as I am concerned, I am so completely at peace with my new native country that I would not return to Norway even if I had a large property there debt free, as I shall make you understand. At my arrival in America, I owed Peder Brondstad 56 specie dollars for fare. But, God be thanked! Since I came in good health I immediately got work with a shoemaker for whom I worked 14 days. Afterwards I made shoes myself, but Peder Brondstad bought the necessary leather, whereby I made eight dollars in a month. Then I fenced in land for the aforesaid Brondstad for about 40 dollars. Then I worked for a Yankee for 4 months at 10 dollars per month, and in the fall one month for 20 dollars. You can see from this that I not only paid my debt to Peder Brondstad and bought some clothes and other things, but also I have some in reserve, so I leave it to you to think how I should have made this progress in Norway.

Now I am thinking of buying 80 acres of land here at Koshkonong, for which I must borrow some money. Afterwards, if God gives me the health, I want to go to New Orleans to work for the money so I hope to be free of debt for this land by next year, and during the summer can work at breaking sod and restoring the house, etc.

As far as the quality of land is concerned it is well known that American exceeds all other parts of the world in fertility, so nothing more need be said about this that has not already been said. Here on the bottomland the earth is too rich for wheat, but better for corn. The higher land and the openings in the woods are better for wheat, so if a farmer has both kinds of land then he harvests everything in abundance. More of this you can learn from “Reierson’s Veiviser”, which reports everything in strictest truth.

As far as my journey overseas, etc. Is concerned I have nothing more to say than what you already know from Peder Bronstad writings.

I can not warn you enough from going on the small freighters from Norway since a passenger on this has unbelievable hardships to endure; but instead go to Havre in France and embark on a large American ship. True the fare for this safer way will be higher but that should not be considered for such a tedious journey.

This is what you must watch out for with respect to provisions etc. For the trip. First and foremost provide yourself with flatbread made of meal which packed in butter prepared for the purpose will keep well during the whole journey. Meal of corn dried in a drying-house and oven-baked bread of meal keeps just as well. Oven-baked bread will keep well the first 4 or 5 weeks on sea. Flour will not keep on account of the high humidity. Meat must be salted and well dried and preserved carefully in tight cases since otherwise it absorbs too much humidity and at last becomes unsuitable for eating. Good pickled herring, butter, strong cheese, Mosssmer ost or surprim, etc. And finally a good supply of ship-bread or crackers. In addition vinegar, sugar candy, etc. According to your pleasure. As for tools, table wares, etc. I would dissuade you from bringing them, except the spinning wheel, loom and various fine things and perhaps a pair of cards. Everything like this as well as work clothes can be had here better than in Norway. As for the rest you must make small cases which can be handled easily on the trip, to preserve provisions as well as clothes, since the large bundles are inconvenient for the whole journey. This is all I can inform you about. As for the rest you must as is said, do as you will. As much as I want to see you here, I want to be careful neither to dissuade or persuade you in this important step. You have learned from this what I have accomplished and otherwise each must prove himself. I am not sorry that I came here and thousands with feel the same. When you arrive at New York you must ask the way at the consul who will surely give you the best advice with respect to fares through the country. If you do not do this you will be subject to deceit of all kinds.

As soon as you come to New York write to me so I can meet you in Milwaukee to transport you to my place. Address the letter: To Mr. Even Olsen Gullord, Christiania Post Office, Koshkonong Prairie, Dane County, in Wisconsin Territory.

I have no news except that all the emigrants from Biri came to Koshkonong Prairie 20 August after a very difficult journey. The group was fairly well on their arrival. Nothing more this time, with a hurried greeting to all as well as to all friends and acquaintances. Together with heartfelt wishes for a happy meeting next year!

From your devoted son,
Even Olsen.
Koshkonong Prairie, Dane County
Wisconsin Territory, 26 August 1847

Even with Even’s encouraging letters, it was hard for Ole’s parents to make the decision to leave Norway and emigrate to America. The State Church was issuing warning to the people about the dangers which they faced if they went to that uncivilized and heathen land. If they escaped being mugged in New York, they would surely be met by “savages” waiting for their scalps on the prairies and in the woodlands. They were forcefully advised that they would be leaving behind both family and God, if they went to America.

There was much discussion between other family members, who were also thinking of going to America. Finally, they all agreed to go together as a group, knowing this would be safest for all of them.

Besides Ole’s parents, Ole (age nine), brother, Even (age six), and sister, (age ten), there was Ole’s great grandparents, Tosten Olsen Strandbakken and Ingeborg Hansdaughter, grandparents, Ole Tostensen Gullord and Randi Pedersdaughter; uncle Henrick, and two daughters; uncle, Tjostul from Fron, his wife and daughter; uncle, Martin from Gustad, his wife and son; uncle, Klemet from Oiers church area, his wife; and great uncle Jan Hovde.

On 15 June 1849 they boarded the ship, Flora, with Captain C. Bull as master, and set sail for America. There were tears as the last glimpse of the “old country” faded from their eyes. Later they would sing, “ Kan du glemme gamle Norge?” (“Can you forget old Norway?”)

No comments:

Post a Comment